3/30/08

Al's got me sewing





Last year, Al posted a blog called "Becca's got me baking," so I thought "Al's got me sewing" was an appropriate title for this post.

This all started when I was shopping for spring clothes for Abigail and frustrated because I did not really like any of the styles at stores like Gap, Old Navy, and Target. They were a little too sassy and seemed to old for Abby. So Al convinced me that we could sew something for her.

We had a crazy day yesterday sewing together. The kids were fending for themselves and Alison's house got a little messy. But we had some cute results.

It took me all day to make the blue twirly skirt and the white biker shorts. The shorts are for Abigail to wear under her dresses and skirts and were made with an old maternity tank top. We drafted a pattern off a similar pair of shorts that Abby had. We used the bottom part of the tank top as the bottom of the shorts so we didn't have to hem or finish them. (That was not my idea - it was Al's)

Alison made the cute yellow dress - she designed it, drafted the pattern herself, and sewed it. She also made the green under-shorts (from an old navy Tshirt) in about 2 minutes. Abby loves this dress because it is long, ruffly, and very comfy. And if you know her personality, you would agree that this bright, sweet, springy dress is perfect for her.

Al had some great projects going on yesterday: making new covers for a baby swing and car seat, and some cute summer shirts for Maryanna. Check out Al's blog for all her great sewing projects. I know there is no way I could have made those 2 items without her help. Thanks.

3 comments:

Mommymita said...

Great work Becca - sewing is not too hard. It is definately more fun with another person so no worries about the messy house.

Abby - you have some great poses. I like how you really make that dress come to life. I even like your Easter pose in the earlier post.

Cathy said...

Becca, Great projects! Maybe I'll get you painting a picture next week ! ;-)

Mary said...

Good projects Becca!