6/14/08

False Labor

False labor is a cruel trick to be played on pregnant women, especially when you are almost a week overdue. This picture was taken on the 12th before taking the kids to the babysiter because I was sure the baby was coming that day.


Tuesday night I was up from about 2:00 - 7:00 having contractions every 5-10 minutes, so, I thought Wednesday was going to be the day. However, around 10:00 am, the contractions slowed down and only came irregularly throughout the day.


Wednesday night I went to bed very depressed - then the same thing happened, although this time the contractions hurt. I was up at about 2:00 a.m. again. I thought for sure this was real labor. So we sent the kids to the babysitter and Paul stayed home from work. Around 11:00 the contractions slowed down and became very irregular, although they were still strong. I was about to break down and cry, then we decided to make a fun day out of it to get my mind off if. So, we went out to lunch, went shopping at IKEA, went to look at boats, and went to a movie together. It was a fun day-off with Paul and it brought my spirits up a little. That evening, Paul took the kids out for dinner and to the Thanksgiving Point gardens while I took a nap. That is when the contractions started again - I did not know it at the time - but this time it was the real thing. (see next post)


Being almost a week overdue and having so much false labor, I was beginning to think that my body would never go into labor on its own. I was convinced that I would need to be induced with pitocin - like how I had my other babies. But I am so glad I waited it out.


I decided since me and four sisters have gone overdue for our babies in the past few months (Cathy - 10 days, Mary 9 days, and Alison - 12 days), that we need to make a song entitled "What do you do when you're overdue?" This is sung to the tune of the primary song "what do you do in the summertime." Cathy has allready given me the lyrics to her verse:


What do you do when you're overdue

And all of your projects are done?

Do you excercise on a ball?
Or walk around the mall?

Or sit in your car and cry?

Is that what you do?........So do I!

2 comments:

RayAnne said...

I love the overdue song!!! I wish I had had that while waiting 13 days for Rachel! Being our first, I thought for sure she would be at least two weeks early. Who goes overdue? The week before she was born Mike and I went to the dollar movie every night just to keep from going nuts! Imagine my surprise when Michael came three days early - all the others had been at least a week late. I feel your pain!

Dad Wirthlin said...

Well it was a great story and great event. It is a little ironic to see your daughters live out their own birth drama. He kis a cute guy and will have thick hair.. that is one thing I can pass on to my daughter's children.

I like the name!

Love you, Dad