2/5/10

Everyone has Flops!

This is a picture of my most recent cooking flop. I had started a sourdough sponge late one night and wrapped it in this cute black and white damp towel and placed it in the oven (draft-free spot) overnight. The next morning, I was boiling and baking bagels, so I turned the ovens on to 500 degrees. When I opened the oven to put in the bagels I noticed the sourdough sponge. "Ahhhh!!" I took it out and the towel was all burnt and the sponge turned into a sticky hot mess. I threw the towel away, (after trying to rinse it out and time after time it bled black liquid). and washed the bowl after it cooled. The bagels turned out really good and I was able to make a new sponge that day and bake sourdough bread the next. Cathy made me feel a little better by saying, "At least you used an oven-proof glass bowl - if it were me, it would have been a plastic bowl - melted all over and ruin the oven." Thanks, Cathy. I guess it is a good general rule to not put anything in the oven that is not oven-proof. Or even a better rule - Maybe I should open my oven and make sure it is clear before I turn it on.

Hopefully next week I can catch up and blog some new pictures of my kids.

5 comments:

Mommily said...

I did the exact same thing once. You need to catch up and blog all your yummy recipes.

Le Roy Wirthlin said...

Gaaaack Becca.. that's like Mom drying out her rolex watch in an oven cooling down. Cheryl came home from school andbaked cookies with the watch still in the oven.

I added Keefir milk to my last sourdough bread and it tastes pretty good.

Mommymita said...

It must be the pregnancy

Mary said...

It could have been my fault since I called you every five minutes about the food I was cooking. Thanks for all your food tips. I think I will wait on learning how to do sour dough.

Cathy said...

Ha! Yeah, it could have been a LOT worse! That's what I always think when I have a flop!