5/12/08

BBQ Pork

The last few times that I have made BBQ pork, I have not been happy with the results, using recipes that are basically a piece of meat slow-cooked in BBQ sauce.  These recipes are easy, but do not have very much depth of flavor.  They were also a little too sweet for me. Here is what I did: first I read a few recipes in cookbooks and online.



BBQ Pulled Pork
4-5 lb pork roast (I used a shoulder with bone-in) - remove as much fat as you can before    cooking 
Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and place in crock-pot.
Add:
1 chopped onion
about 1 T Worcestershire sauce
a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar
1/2 c cider vinegar
1/2 - 1 cup BBQ sauce
Then fill with water to just about the top of the meat.

Cook on low 10-12 hours.

After it is cooked, take meat out - remove bones and fat and shred.

Dump out most of water - reserving the onions to mix with meat if desired.  Leave a little liquid to keep shredded meat moist.

Return shredded meat to crock pot.

At this point you can simply season with salt and pepper and let each person add his or her own BBQ sauce. Or you can add BBQ sauce to the crock-pot, mix with meat before serving.

4 comments:

Mommymita said...

I think I'll try that when Paul's parents are in town. Thanks for the tips

Cathy said...

when people look at this blog, they'll think' bECCA'S MOM MUST HAVE BEEN A GREAT COOK."

LOVE MOM

Dad Wirthlin said...

have you tried this in a pressure cooker... might save a few hours

love Dad

Emily said...

Becca,

I love that you to test kitchen in your home and send all the results with us. Thanks!!! Can't wait to try.